Re: Topband: More - lightning protection on 4 sq

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: More - lightning protection on 4 sq
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:37:06 -0400
Rick Stealey wrote:

> Price says:
>> I opened a Polyphaser IS-50UX-C0 and it had 2 small disk ceramic capacitors
>> in parallel.
>
> Ok we have agreement all around.  Thanks Price for the data.  Now we know we
> have .02 in series with 50 ohms, so that is about 4 ohms of reactance and 4
> ohms in series with 50 ohms results in a phase shift of 5.06 degrees
> according to trigonometry.  And now we also have someone who has measured .02
> with a 50 ohm load and actually saw 5 ohms of reactance on an antenna
> analyzer.  That's great.
>
> If you guys would like to expand this interesting thread to a discussion of
> Polyphasors I could benefit from it.
>
> I will start a new subject title.
>
> 73
> Rick  K2XT

Don't forget that it's the relative phase between the elements that
determines the pattern. Adding a small reactance to the feedpoint of
each element should not change the relative phase between the elements.
The resonant frequency of each element will go up a little bit.

As to Polyphasers, it's my understanding that quite a bit of the energy
in a lightning strike is in the 1 to 2 mHz range. I can't see that a
series cap will help much in that instance.

73, Roger

  --
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/