Re: Topband: I.C.E. lightning protective device

To: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>, "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: I.C.E. lightning protective device
From: "Harold Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:00:40 -0500
Subject: Topband: I.C.E. lightning protective device

> As a follow up to the recent discussion of the capacitance value in
> Polyphaser HF protective devices (two each .01 uFd/500v in parallel), I
> made a technical query with I.C.E. as to the capacitance in their 303U HF
> 8Kw device (the next smallest device is only 1KW).  I.C.E. responded today
> saying that their device is basically "a wide-range blocking capacitor
> bank, 13,600 pf, or .0135 micro-farads, 3KV rated."
>
> 73. . .Dave
> W0FLS

Dave,

I did some measurements on the I.C.E model 305, 15KW unit.
With a 51 ohm resistor at the antenna connection, I measured with the MFJ
259B analyzer
an Impedance of 52 ohms and the reactance was 0 (zero) ohms up to 6.8 MHz.
Above 6.8 MHz
the impedance stayed the same and the reactance varied from 2 to 4 ohms..
The series capacitance measures 0.0127 mfd. There are three disk ceramics in
parallel. From their size,
I would guess that each capacitor is a 0.005 @ 6kV. The total value would be
within their normal
tolerance.

Perhaps this information is usable to someone.

73...Price W0RI