Topband: Inverted "L"

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Inverted "L"
From: Jim Murray <adkmurray@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:16:50 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All!
Just finished getting up my first inverted L and a start on the radial system
(have a new found respect for those with many radials).  I managed to get the
vertical portion over the top of a tall pine and I would estimate it at approx.
65-70'.  The remainder slopes down to about 40' (ran out of tall trees).  So
far I have 11, 64' radials and ran out of wire.  Hope to get it up to at least
16 in the Fall.  Here are some readings taken with the MFJ antenna analyzer at
the feedpoint.  At 1.832-37 ohms, swr- bet. 2 - 2.5.  Lowest SWR was at 1.886 @
30 ohms.  50 ohms was at 1.790 with an swr at a little over 3.  Would
appreciate any suggestions as to improving  the numbers.  Before I rolled up
the radials for the summer I hooked up a feed line to the shack and the
internal tuner on my Icom 765 tuned down the swr and had 100 watts out on most
of the band???  Don't quite understand that.  I hooked in the analyzer at the
shack and got: 1.830-
 55ohms, 2.0 swr.  1.800-60 ohms, 2.6 swr.  1.866-1.5swr, 50ohms, 2.000 15ohms,
3swr. ???
Probably a good explanation but I'll go with the readings at the feed point and
appreciate any suggestions on the best way to improve that
Cheers,
Jim
k2hn