Re: Topband: 160 Windom

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Windom
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:36:51 -0600
W2TN wrote:
Does anyone have experience with a 160m Windom?
I like the fact that it has a vertical radiating section.

Allan
I too used a 160 Carolina Windom, height 55 feet. Mostly horizontal. I
have no radials beneath it. For my first 3 years in Colorado it was my
main antenna. Literally I 'worked the world' with it, perhaps aided by a
rural very low noise location. Perhaps hindered by using only 100 watts.
But I worked a lot of stations on 160 with it including all the major
DXpeditions in 05-07 and several new countries. Some might label it a
cloud warmer at 55 ft, and surely it is. But it still radiates and
receives 'occasionally' on the lower angles. Good luck with it!

Be careful if you use an actual Carolina Windom! I got 220V into the
shack enabling higher power in 2007. Sadly that was the end of the 'full
power' Carolina Windom. One, or both, the feedline devices, or maybe the
vertical feedline, expired at 1,000W.

73 Art