Re: Topband: 160m SSB DX

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m SSB DX
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:10:28 -0400
On 18th August, Jim wrote:

"...FWIW, I don't hear much CW on 160 slower than 20 WPM, and the only time
I hear much that's faster than 28 WPM is during contests."

*************************************

Hi Guys,

I can hear a modicum of slow-speed CW work on the band during the winter
season, but it's generally down below the W1AW frequency. I hear quite a few
"regulars" there in the mornings, mostly getting together (apparently) on
skeds.

The VERY odd time that a casual (casual to the band, that is) slow-speed CW
op might unwittingly stray up above 1820-KHz and call a general CQ doesn't
seem to happen too often --- the DX'ers are usually there in force, & the
rag chewers are quick to disappear.

IMHO, and FWIW, the MAIN seasonal activity on topband --- CW-wise --- is
DX'ing. Even the usual "non-DX'ing" frequencies from 1800- to about 1815-KHz
will quickly lead to pile-ups if and when a rare one shows up!

QRS CW is perhaps best done up above 1840-KHz, in the absence of any SSB
DXCC chasers, that is...conversely, there is always the bottom end of
80-meters.

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ