Topband: Noise reduction

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Noise reduction
From: "John Harden, D.M.D." <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:55:45 -0400
There was a recent posting about the various noise reduction devices. The
GAP in-line DSP noise canceling device works great ahead of my Ten-Tec Orion
I. In fact I seldom use the rig without it.

I was at Dayton several years ago and a couple of DXers said NOT to waste
your money on the Time Wave or the MFJ devices as they had tried both of
them with poor results. They both said to get the GAP in-line device as it
worked very well for them.

I do use a Time Wave DSP 59+ ahead of my Collins KWM-2A and it works very
well with this rig. However, with this rig the internal 136B-2 blanker works
well with some types of noise in the 40 MHz range.

I recommend the GAP device based on my experience with it. I do not know
about the DX Engineering device. However, if W8JI designed it then it must
work well.

73,

John, W4NU

Checked by AVG.