Re: Topband: How electrically tall is this tower please? (will it workon

To: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How electrically tall is this tower please? (will it workon 160?) (long read)
From: "Dave Sharred" <g3nkc@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:30:26 +0100
Mike

This may not go out to the reflector (hove some problems with it !); but you
will see it.

I'm no expert on shunt feeding; but I would look in ON4UN's book, or even
the ARRL handbook would help you.

I assume you are referring to just a series 600pF variable capacitor, in
your previous experiences with inverted L's ?  That will only be any good if
the antenna is greater than a quarter wave. So you could make it work for
80, but not 160.

I would approximate what you have as a 64' vertical, with a 15' capacity
hat, FWIW. If you do solve the gamma matching, it should work ok.

OR you could do one of the 2 things below :

1) use a halyard at the very top of the mast to hoist up an inverted L.
Even better if you can increase the free pole length at the top - you may be
able to pull it clear and fasten the "horizontal somewhere, that would still
allow the 6m array to turn ?

2) Get a fibre glass pole to insert in the top of your 16' pole; make a top
to good effect; though probably a bit more ambitious than you had in mind.
Here; I used a 60' tower, with maybe 10-15ft of scaffold pole; and then used
a 30' fibre glass pole; and slid the top loading coil down the fibre pole..
I run the wire to the top; and run the wire off the bottom of the loading
coil to a convenient point just away from the tower.  Since we don't have
too many shots at getting this right; if more inductance is needed, I insert
this at the base (I would prefer to put it at the top, of course!)

I am assuming that this tower tilts over ? !

73

Dave
G3NKC