Topband: strange SWR readings at tower base vs inside shack

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: strange SWR readings at tower base vs inside shack
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:36:25 -0300
Hi Guys,

I want to thank you all once again for all the private emails, articles and
pix you've sent of your shunt fed tower installations
and great words of wisdom !  The outpouring of support and advice has been
great. . . but I digress.

I am using my MFJ-259 antenna SWR analyzer on a ~10' chunk of coax to my
series matching capacitor near the base of the tower that I am attemping to
resonate on 160m and tuning the series Gamma cap and moving the Gamma wire I
can get the match real low on 160m (like 1.2:1 or so) but when I measure it
in the shack, it's over 3.1:1.. and the resonant frequency is not even close
!.......initially I thought I must have had a bad remote antenna switch at
the tower base, or a bad run of coax, but I have a spare ~180' run of coax
and readings using it are nearly identical. Both runs are probably close to
the same length.  One has a remote switch in line and the other does not.  I
added a 2nd cap (a la Ohmega Match) this afternoon between rain showers but
it made little if any difference in the strange SWR readings I am seeing.
(good SWR and freq at tower base and poor in shack.)

What's going on ?

Scratching my head in NB

Mike VE9AA