Topband: K9AY newbie qestions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY newbie qestions
From: "VO1HP" <fdavis@nfld.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:33:12 +0100
Just finished yesterday final hookup of K9AY loop system.  Using Array
Soluntions controller and relay box.  I made my own loops and the centre pole
from old tent poles purchased at Princess Auto to the required height.

I have a 75x120 ft lot in suburbia and the backyard is full of maple tres .
The only place I could install the antenna is in the SE corner between a couple
of 30 -35 ft maples.  As a matter of fact the SE wire runs through a "Y" in one
of those trees.  The other wires run into the tress as well but not trough
banches etc.  Using #14 insulated house wire for NE/SW and #14 enamel covered
wire for NW/SE.  Each loop is approx 87ft of wire.  Tried to make the shapes of
the loops uniform as per the various diagrams I have seen  but due to the
topography in the yard...it slopes away from the street....theya re not perfect
deltas.   I suspect that wet leaves still on the trees are touching on the
insulated wires so I am wondering if thet will impactthe patterns of the loops.

The 52ft crankup tower that supports my coax Inv L is about 50 ft to the NW of
the K9AY.  A 80/40/30M half sloper on the tower generally slopes towars the
K9AY.  There is also an 80/40M dipole on the tower that runs generally NE/SW.

Have only been listening since last night and am just wondering about the
experiences of others.  Not many sigs on 160 last night so I'm not sure if
loops wrking right.  Just a word about where I am located.  NW and SW look
inland to the city.  NE looks to the ocean but it is at least 8-10Km away.  SW
looks toward the ocean but about 5km's away

Observation:
1. The NE/SW loop does not seem to have much if any F/B on 160.
2.  Listening on the BCB in 1500 - 1000 khz range there is significant F/B on
the NW /SE loop.  On the SE position NA broadcast stations literally
dissappear.  The NESW loop has some F/B but not at all as dramatic as the NW/SE.
3. On 160 signals have good levels as compared to the Inv L
3. Listening this a.m to W1 stations CQing on 160 the signals were same level
on all positions except SE.
4. Copied FM5CD this am Q5 sigs ...no noise...on SW   ... ..on other directions
can still copy him but more noise.

Any comments from the experinces of others who have erected this antenna in
treed location would be of interest.  Also i am wondering about the loop
lenghts.  They are approx 87ft and would that length impact on patterns .

73
Frank VO1HP