Topband: Inverted "L" vs." T"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Inverted "L" vs." T"
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:44:15 -0700 (PDT)
The effect of trees on 160 signals is going to be minor in either case... The
conductive salts and sugars in the sap are mostly confined to a thin skin
around the trunk and more heavily in the leaves...  The biggest thing is that
during much of the 160 season in the north, the sap has gone back down, the
leaves are off, and the wood in the tree is mostly transparent to RF so for us
trees are convenient supports more than anything else.....

As far as W8JI and QRP... Tom's real advantage is an excellent ground plane
under his transmit vertical, a world class collection of receiving antennas,
and a bunch of hot rod receivers...  His station would do well as a QRP
entry...  Whether he would do well is unknown to me...
In my case it wouldn't matter... I love to build antennas but I am a lousy
contester to the point that I doubt you would see much difference in QRO and
QRP scores from me...

denny / k8do