Topband: New 160m QRN Problem in EU

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: New 160m QRN Problem in EU
From: "John Rogers" <johnr1g3pqa@onetel.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 13:48:22 -0000
During the last month I have been hearing a new source of qrn which seems
diffierent from the usual local switch mode rubbish. Only audible at night, and
strongest on 90 deg. east beverage. Up to s7 at 2130z, s9 at 0130z, on east
beverage and audible on all others. Not listened later in last couple of weeks,
so dont know yet what time it disappears, but DF-ed it at 70 degrees -
difficult to get accurate bearing as it is skywave. Sounds like power line qrn
with phase distortion, a bit like the old Loran at a much higher frequency.
Spreads from about 1810kHz to 1860kHz, strongest around 1839kHz.

I suspect it is coming from east UK or west EU, but difficult to locate without
other reports.
Later on I will make recordings and try to DF from other locations.

Does anyone else hear it, (or have an idea of what it might be)?

Thanks 73
John G3PQA