Re: Topband: RFI question

To: "Jon Zaimes AA1K" <jz73@verizon.net>, "Topband" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI question
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 08:04:28 -0500
On 2nd November, Jon wrote:

"...I have a new, loud noise on Top Band...seems to be here for an hour or
two, starting around sundown...it cycles on/off at a regular rate -- 55
seconds on, 55 seconds off..."

**************************************

Hi Jon,

It sounds you're afflicted with the dreaded scourge of failing ballast in a
sodium vapour street light, to me...I experienced that very thing on
numerous occasions when we lived in suburbia from 1980 - 1990.

Don't assume that the noise goes away when the light comes on, either: as I
recall, it would only stop when the light would go off.

I traced my offenders by driving very slowly around the neighbourhood, with
the car radio tuned to a dead spot on the AM BC band. It worked every time.

One last tip: when you call the local utility company to repair it, DO NOT
TELL THEM YOU'RE A HAM RADIO OP AFFLICTED WITH THEIR QRM! Instead, tell them
that your XYL likes to walk your dog around the block before putting it down
for the night, & she's concerned about personal safety because of the light
failing...

It worked every time for me...failure to mention the safety factor will
surely put your concerns on the proverbial back burner.

Good luck, Jon, & do please keep us posted as to developments there in this
regard...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ