Re: Topband: another inverted L problem

To: özer öksüz <ta2rcozer@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: another inverted L problem
From: "Harold Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 21:40:28 -0600

> Hello Dear Topbanders!
>
> Perhaps Devil is here:)
>
> I installed an Inverted L 1/4 WL but something is wrong.
> I erected it sea side and used a fiberglas mast.Copper wire has 1.5 mm
> diameter.Vertical portion is 18 meters and horizontal part is 21 meters.
> Horizontal end is insulated with a 1 meters monofilament fish line from
> other fiberglas mast.Ground system is 1 meters copper rod and 8 pieces 1/4
> WL surface radial.
> I used a carbon resistor between ground system and active vertical
> wire.Feeding with 47 meters of a 50 ohm RG 213.My power is 100W.
>
> I installed this antenna set up many times with big succes.But this time
> no!
> SWR drops 1.1 on center 1.750 and rises 3.0 on 1.850 and drops again 1.1
> on
> center 1.920.
> 1 meter adding or 1 meter cutting the active wire,does not change this
> center frequencies!!Like I am using another antenna!!
>
> What is wrong?May be resistor?
>
> Any experience?And thanks for any advice and comment.
>
> 73!
> Ozer,TA2RC

Hello Ozer,

Are you measuring the VSWR at the antenna or at your transceiver?

If you are measuring it at the transceiver, your measurement can be all over
the place. This is due to reactance, Xl or Xc at the antenna
base. One should only measure the VSWR at the antenna.

Why do you have a resistor at the base, for static drain?

I am sure that you will receive a lot of comments on this problem..

Best 73 and CU on 160

Price   W0RI