Re: Topband: Phased Verticals

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Phased Verticals
From: "Victor A. Kean, Jr." <vkean@k1lt.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 13:38:50 -0500
> I know what possible pattern combinations can be expected with 1/4-wave
> elements but can find no information on the effect of base loading the
> 80-meter vertical to resonance on 160 for the second element in the array.

The pattern you get is mostly dependent upon how much current
you force into each vertical, and their physical arrangement.
There is little dependency on the length of the vertical or
whether or not it is resonant.

Now, the length of the vertical, whether or not it is resonant,
and ground *will* have an effect on efficiency, bandwidth, ease
of forcing the appropriate amount of current, etc.

If the verticals are 1/2 wave apart, plus or minus a quarter
wave or so, then you'll get a cardioid pattern if they are
fed approximately 90 degrees out of phase (depending on the
exact spacing and the elevation angle of the null).  If you feed
them in phase, you'll get a bi-directional pattern broadside to
the plane of the array, no matter how far apart they might be,
up to about 70% of a wavelength.

Victor, K1LT