Re: Topband: small diaameter radials - issues?

To: "Neil Carr G0JHC" <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: small diaameter radials - issues?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:06:15 -0800
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:18:20 -0000, Neil Carr G0JHC wrote:

>So my 1st question is a mechanical one, does thin rolls of enamelled copper
>last?

It will depend on soil chemistry (PH) and physical abuse.

>Is there any difference in performance if you laid 100 1.5mm radials
>compared with 100 3mm radials?

The literature pretty much agrees no difference at all.

Another point -- the only reason to bury radials is a mechanical one. They
work fine laying on the earth.

What you MIGHT see is interaction between your 80M and 160M antennas -- that
is, the 160M antenna may act as a parasitic element to the 80M antenna and
modify the directivity of the 80M antenna. I would not expect the reverse to
be true.

73,

Jim K9YC