Re: Topband: reversible Beverage v none reversible Beverage (answers)

To: <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: reversible Beverage v none reversible Beverage (answers)
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:49:32 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Dennis OConnor
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 9:44 AM
To: topband@contesting.com

The first question that comes to mind is whether the difference in signal
strength is due to a fault on the Beverage, or a due to a difference in the
signals from the two directions...
The comment that you need to ensure a stable termination at both ends is
right on... Three 5 foot copper pipes driven in a triangle with about 6-8
foot spacing and augmented with a half dozen short radials will ensure a
stable RF ground.
 (vast overkill, but anything worth doing is worth over doing)...

Then I would use a VOM to ring the coax pair - or relay if using a single
coax - for continuity and shorts and proper operation of the relay (if
any)...  IF the VOM check is OK then I use an MFJ259 and/or a noise bridge -
and I have been known to put a resistor across the far end of the coax and
use a low power signal and SWR meter -  to prove everything is OK at RF -
,.....

Then if you still feel there is a fault in the reverse direction I would
reverse the installation... Swap the reflection transformer and the coax
transformer ends... Take the HF rig and a battery out to the new feed point
and check the signals... If now the low signal has swapped directions 180
degrees, then you know there is an RF fault in the transformers (assuming
you have already rung the wires and transformers with a VOM for continuity)

I did not go through the back messages, so if I am duplicating others
postings that is why...

denny / k8do

Denny:

Thanks for this very logical explanation on troubleshooting this. Someone
else on the list has a very similar experience with this. I DID improve the
ground at the far end this weekend with a couple extra ground rods and I
really couldn't hear a difference. It's funny, the other paired Bev's sound
equal and reverse well. The signal strength on the problem pair going out NE
is almost super loud and the reverse is less than the other pair of Bev's. I
wish I could add the signals and divide by 2 ! :) I'll keep working on it.
The signals are there and it definitely reverses - I just end up having to
play with the preamp.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

8:48 AM