Topband: Not so Boring QSO

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Not so Boring QSO
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:30:50 -0800
Last night - I was anxious to get home after seeing the K index was zero for
about 18 hours straight.  The band sounded good - but not many signals.

Occasionally, we see spots for UA9 or UA0 stations, but these are things I
have never heard in the evening from Oregon.  However, tonight, I could
copy parts of UA9MA's transmissions around 02:15 UTC.  Over the next 25
minutes, a number of stations worked him - including W7ZQ and N7UA.  I
don't know if his signal shifted around his sunrise - but he peaked up
really well at 02:35 UTC and I was able to exchange reports with him.  At
this time, his signal was best from the northwest!  Gena was hanging out
on 1831.5.

I had worked zone 17 in the morning (UN5J) before, but this is the furthest
east that I have worked into Russia in the evening.  Gena's QTH appears to
be very close to Omsk.

I also worked a handful of other northern European stations - but signals
were not very good.  However, it seemed that my propagation was better
than what most everyone else in the USA was experiencing.  K9DX even called
in and told me that the band sucked for him.

I also heard ZS1REC around 03:35 UTC (his sunrise) who was AS LOUD AS W0FLS
was when he worked Dave.  Raoul was looking for the HC on the band, so we
didn't actually make a QSO.  I am hoping that the C9 puts up a beverage and
shows up at his sunrise with a signal like that.

73 Tree N6TR/7
tree@kkn.net