Topband: 160 meter yagi

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160 meter yagi
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:10:33 -0500
http://www.radioarkala.com/Portals/3/M7_2.JPG

         That's actually a 5-element 80m Yagi on top.  I don't
believe the 3-element 160m Yagi is installed yet, but it may go on
the boom below the 80m.  The text says the latter will be ready by
next summer.  Maybe one of the OH gang here can say for sure.

ZL3IX:
 >Bob - just hold thumbs that this god allows coupling to the ionosphere
from horizontally polarised antennas in OH.?

         I agree, but this will definitely be a good test of that
theory!  At 100m high, it will certainly be high enough (~5/8 wl) to
have a good low-angle lobe.  I hope they have some good vertical
arrays for comparison and share the results with everyone.

W2PM:
 >Well it would make one hell of a shunt fed tower -- that's quite a
capacitance hat

         It's probably too tall for decent low-angle radiation.  I'm
guessing the electrical length may be ~3/4 wavelengths, which will
radiate most energy straight up.  I tried shunt-feeding my 55m tower
on 80m once and it was terrible, probably because it was too tall
(~5/8 wl).  Despite the theoretical gain advantage of 5/8 wl
verticals on low frequencies, I believe most broadcast stations have
now moved away from them because of the big high-angle lobe.

                                         Happy Thanksgiving All!

                                         Bill  W4ZV