Topband: Loran A Xmit Power and Freq's

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Loran A Xmit Power and Freq's
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:59:14 -0500

K1ZM:
 >No wonder anyone out East could not hear JA until it shut down in July of
1980!

         That was Loran in the USA.  It wasn't shut down in Japan
until the late 80s or possibly early 90s.  I remember in the mid-80s
using the one around 1850 as a beacon to know when 160 was open to JA
from Colorado.  I also remember hearing the local JA Loran from one
of the stations I visited in Japan in the latter half of the 80s.  I
believe Minami Torishima (JD1) was also the site of a Loran
station.  It's amazing that W1BB was able to work that island before
its Loran shut down.  I might even believe one of the JA ops there
fired up the Loran antenna and amp when it was "down for maintenance".  ;-)

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV