Re: Topband: CQ Rule Change

To: RK <midnight18@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ Rule Change
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:26:45 -0800
RK wrote:

>Many thanks to those who responded to my post both direct and indirect.
>
>I can and have worked EU and Africa at 2200 Z (2 hours before darkness) from
>Arizona, but not during the contests with low power.  I admit little or
>nothing can be done by not having a Central or Eastern geographical locale,
>but the time change does have effect. It does increase Zone 4/5 scores,
>especially during the time periods from 22:00 -10:00 Z when the drive-thru
>contesters are active.
>
>Sunday morning is a Monday in Asia. Outside of a few dedicated souls down
>under that wander SP there is little or no activity elsewhere in Asia or South
>Pacific, except our wonderful friends in JA and a dozen or so UA0/UA9. You
>either get them the first night or perhaps not at all. This is not the case
>for
>a 4000 mile hop across the pond.
>
>In the 2008 CQ 160 CW test the western competition (low power) was 45K and 35K
>outside the box scores with great efforts. The country spread was about 10C.
>
>The time change is still a step backwards for the West.
>All of this does not detract from it still being one the great contests even
>though out West the greatest competition is between ourselves.

That's the key, Bob. Perhaps the thing to do is to encourage sponorship
of zone 3 awards (I think CQ already does this to some extent) and zone
3 top-ten listings for various categories, etc. If CQ doesn't pick it
up, then a shadow contest could be run in parallel by a separate entity
in the same way the Collegiate Championship is run in parallel with the
SS contest - same rules and time period, but restricted eligibility (in
this case it would be west coast only). Awards would be based on CQs
published line scores. You could call it something like the West Coast
160 Meter DX Championship.

I think this model of geographically localized contests within a larger
contest is a good one in general because it should encourage activity
which in turn strengthens the parent contest (as well as the fun for
those who aren't located in the geographically favored areas).