Topband: Vertical training days

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Vertical training days
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 05:02:38 -0800 (PST)
Given your installation so far, in your place I would put my efforts into
getting down more radials...  If possible mix in 8 - 16 longer radials
- like 3/8w - along with the quarter waves... Try to get up to 50 radial count
at minimum...
Yes a loading coil at the base will work just fine to get you to the bottom of
the band, and if you add a cut out relay it gives you more working
bandwidth...  The reality is, if you have a decent radial system you need to
have a matching circuit at the base to transform the ~33 ohms to 50 ohms, for
the best possible working bandwidth...

Now, the thing - in general - about verticals is that the energy in the main
lobe is concentrated down fairly low, centered at roughly 24 degrees
elevation... The reality is that for a given path on 80 the best angle into the
ionosphere can be considerably higher than what the vertical favors... At
grayline, your vertical will often work like gangbusters... At other times a
higher lobe may be favored...  Which is why the guys with a high dipole or
inverted L will beat you to the Q at times...

denny / k8do