Topband: ARRL 160 snooze report

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160 snooze report
From: RK <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:58:40 +0000
Hola from Arizona,
AKA W7RH remote

A week before CQWW CW a large bull Elk rendered  1/2 of my 160 m array useless
metal. :( As it turned out it rained heavily for three days prior to to CQWW
turning the Arizona Red Clay into mile long impassable ruts with numerous
broadsides into the ditches requiring 10 ton electric winches to get out. Not
to mention that once there with no pressure wash available for 100 miles, a
return trip out would have the unwelcome hitch-hiker of 2000lbs of that stuff.

Replacement metal arrived Wednesday December 3rd and I spent the whole day
Thursday replacing the mangled element. Friday brought normal conditions to
the band and I spent 13 hours milking it for what I could. The only excitement
I had was who owned the trash bag in the bed of my 4X4, me or the 30lb Bobcat!

Saturday brought improved conditions early. Who turned the lights off at 0600?
The band went completely dead with no directivity and weak signals. The rapid
deep QSB would completely remove individual letters from callsigns to the East
Coast repeatedly, requiring requests for repeat over and over again.. I went
to bed. Fortunately the propagation Gods cooperated and the propagation came
back around 11:30Z and I was able to recover and improve upon last years
score.

I am now prepared physically and mentally for Stew Perry. See you all December
27th!

Bob Kile, W7RH
DM35OS