Topband: Subject: Re: Subject: RE: HF2V modification in CQ magazine = HF

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Subject: Re: Subject: RE: HF2V modification in CQ magazine = HF3B byIT9ZMX, info please.
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 06:12:06 -0500
From: "Gerry Hohn" <telwest@telusplanet.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:09:46 -0700
Subject: Re: Topband: Subject: RE: HF2V modification in CQ magazine =
HF3B byIT9ZMX, info please.

W4PC:
> Here it is
>
> http://www.w9smc.com/blackhole/blackholeFeb-Mar00.pdf
>
> it's an article in this newsletter from VE6LB

Since that article, I've made a lot of changes to my HF-2V. Following
is a response I sent to another ham.

Gerry VE6LB

No question that the stock HF-2V is not a great performer on 160. I
worked my first 50 or so countries on it stock. After that struggle
I've gone though several iterations of modification. Currently it
doesn't really resemble the original except for the aluminium and the
base coil. I assume you're interested in DX and as such, the modified
HF-2 should outperform any horizontal antenna on 160 that's lower than
60 feet or so.

I've removed the 40 and 80 coils and bridged the gap left in the
radiator. I have a 50 turn 21/2 inch loading coil at about 25 feet of
a 36 foot radiator. I have 3 sloping 20 foot loading wires at about
24' which also act as guys. The rest of the loading is provided by the
original base loading coil with about 10 turns shorted out. I have
about 20 buried 35' radials and add another 12 or so on the ground in
the winter.

I'm now at 133 countries on 160, all worked on some variation of the
HF-2. I run an AL-80A linear at about 800 watts.