Topband: Signal Strength Question

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Signal Strength Question
From: "Herbert L. Schoenbohm" <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 13:21:57 -0400
Greg, ZL3IX wrote:

Hi Herb,

Yes, there was a much bigger difference between the two antennas on
Michel's signal, than on yours, although I could still just hear him on
the TX antenna.  I have no idea why that would be.  As you say, maybe
arrival angle, but maybe some space diversity effects in there as well.

73, Greg, ZL3IX

Herbert L. Schoenbohm KV4FZ wrote:
> This great stuff Greg and many thanks.  I noticed that FM5CD was not
> readable on your TX vertical but very nice on the Beverage Remote on
> these recordings. I wonder if this could be due to arrival angle or
> what....not sure but it is sure interesting to ponder.
>
> Thanks Again!
> Herb, KV4FZ

Maybe some list member could help and offer some theories on this
phenomenon.  ZL3IX sent me some comparison of same early morning/time
recordings of my signal and that of FM5CD.  Both signals are the
same stength on Greg's remote RX Beverage setup.  However on his station TX
vertical antenna there is a vast difference where I am readable and FM5CD is
ESP and in the noise and KV4FZ is clearly readable. FM5CD uses the Titanex V160
and I have a 75 foot tower with a plain 35 foot stinger on top.
(No beams at the present time for top loading.)
Assuming both antennas have similar TOA's and about 250
miles apart, what could account for the vast signal difference on Greg's
TX vertical at his home but none on his remote Beverage?

Any ideas?

Herb,  KV4FZ