Topband: New Beverage

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: New Beverage
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 06:40:44 -0800
     Congrats on getting the new Beverage working Greg. I did some
 tests about 10 years ago measuring the impedance of ground rods
 and radials. One of the tests was measuring the impedance
 between arrays of ground rods. These tests also showed
 overwhelming capacitive behaviour. I found an old graph I had
made and for 2 ground rods 2 feet long measured against two other
 ground rods 2 feet long in a square of 2 feet dimensions the Z was
 44 ohms at 2 MHz and 22 ohms at 4 MHz. This was in wet Pacific
 NW soil measured with a MFJ 259a. Your 80 ohms of capacitive
 reactance seems a bit high but may just be an indication of your
 soil.
    You might pour some sea water around the ground rods and make
 a comparison test. just out of curiousity of course. Rudy, N6LF has
a paper on calculating ground constants using impedance data
from ground probes. See It at.
http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/files/ground_parameter_measurements_2.pdf

if the link fails google N6LF.

     The N2PK VNA is an amazing tool and I love mine!

  Lee  K7TJR OR