Topband: ZD8UW update as of January 6:

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ZD8UW update as of January 6:
From: "OZ1AXG Flam" <oz1axg.nospam@dxmail.dk>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:50:36 +0100
Hello

I received the information below to a direct request at Michaels email. Note
the link to log search...

--
OZ1AXG Flam

ZD8UW update as of January 6:

We have made 11,000 QSOs up to 13:00 today. We are here until 9 January so
there is still plenty of time to work us. The whole team works in rotation to
find all openings, including elusive bands like 12M and 10M, and conditions are
generally good.

Log search = http://clublog.g7vjr.org/l.php?log=ZD8UW

HF and general info:

We are on Green Mountain, with a clear view to the horizon from about 210
degrees to 45 degrees. Other paths are totally blocked by the mountain. We
haven't heard VK or ZL yet so we are planning to take a car round the island
and operate from the water. Please watch the cluster at 0630Z on January 8th
(this time is not absolutely solid).

QSL info:

We don't need your card if you don't need ours! If you are happy with an LoTW
confirmation then please save the planet.

Top band:

We are getting a lot of questions about top band, so here are some notes which
I hope will help.

I have been active every day on 160M using a 60ft vertical with an 'L'. I have
put down about 500m of radials but my output power is limited. I am typically
on the air at 1900Z, our local sunset. Signals at this time to Europe are
nicely enhanced but only briefly. Then, from about 2100Z through to dawn I have
static crashes from the equator, which measure S9+20dB. So far, I have logged
1,200 QSOs on top band. I am aware that the QSB is very problematic for you and
I wish we had a beverage antenna and a big amp! I am now pretty much burned out
on this band and am handing over the key to Simon G4EAG, who will be on at
sunset for 2 hours.

Ok - 73 for now and see you on the air.

Michael G7VJR & the team at ZD8UW

PS. The top scoring DX'er has worked us on 14 slots.

AM