Topband: 2-wire Beverage

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 2-wire Beverage
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:10:12 -0800
     Victor, Garry, and top-band lurkers.  I had to stand back and
 do a little hand waving of my own. I wish I still had a blackboard
 on my wall. First; yes Garry, I did not say it very well. I look at a
 2 wire Beverage forward direction as being the same as a one
 wire-one way Beverage.
      So Victor, after looking at your hand waving for a day I had
 a DUH moment. I had allready conceded to myself that the one
 open/one grounded worked in the reverse direction. I guess
 what Victor is really saying is that if it works in one direction it
 will work in the other. It is reciprocal and so the differential
 mode load port terminates the forward direction. OK, I can buy
 that. I am still curious about what effects the resistance of the
 ground rod showing up in one of the differential lines instead
 of the common mode line might be. Now I really am interested
 in a VNA plot of both types of Beverage assemblies.
     I will someday do some VNA plots on one my transformer
 Beverages and then convert it to a one open/one grounded
 type to compare them.
    This is going to be really interesting. I know the reason for this
 discussion in the first place is that Greg ZL3IX has taken down
 his wide spaced 8-circle remote array and made a new
 relocated remote array using Beverages. It seems from his
 comment so far that the Beverages are working really well for
 him. Maybe better than the 8-circle? On the other hand, I just
 built my first wide spaced 8-circle this year and it is kicking the
 pants off my 1000 ft Beverages. Yes, I still have my smaller
diameter 8 element array. It has a demonstrated better RDF but
 not as clean of a pattern.
      Nothing has changed, one can never have enough antennas.
   Lee  K7TJR OR