Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:26:10 -0800
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 06:44:57 EST, W9UCW@aol.com wrote:

>For most of the 20 year period, but particularly  from about 1998 well into
>2007 the loops dominated the verticals, for both  receive signal strength and
>transmit signal reports for DX contacts in general.  The ratio was about 80/20
>in favor of the loops. Somewhat over a year ago things  began to change and
>the ratio has moved to about 30/70 in favor of the  verticals. We live in an
>extremely quiet location, which facilitates the  comparisons.

Barry,

Count me among those who consider comparison of one antenna to the other by
switching between them over and over again (or in diversity mode) and comparing
voltmeter readings on many contacts and many distant stations to be almost the
only meaningful way we have to evaluate them (short of a copter, a field
strength
meter, and a big budget). And what's "better" on one contact or in one time
frame
or direction or distance can be very different from what's "better" in another
time frame or direction or distance.

73,

Jim K9YC