Re: Topband: coax change?

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: coax change?
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 08:20:19 -0500
> > I need to put up an antenna at a 2nd QTH which will need at least
> > 150' of coax.
>
> > The question I am asking here is if using a lower loss coax like the
> > 400 or 500 would allow a significant difference that I would notice
> > with my K3? I will be using higher bands during the summer. Getting
> > more 213 would be the cheapest answer and I don't want to waste money
> > if the benefits would not be noticeable.
>
> You need to run the numbers for the highest band you expect to be using. You
> talking about using 20m or 10m?
>
> It's hard to make a case for LMR 500 on 160m at amateur power levels.
>
> 73, Guy.

Well,

The way the bands have been as of late, I don't hear much happening
on 20 or 10. I did mention using the higher bands as when the low
bands turn poorly during the summer I'll turn upwards for QSOs. My
transmitting antennae are an L for 160, an L for 80 and a butternut
HF9V for everything else. I have the HF9V's 80 meter coil shorted to
be resonant on 5M (turns out I have little interest on 5 as I've
heard more "CB" mentality there in a compressed space)

But... I do have all the HF bands available and I use a common radial
plate/radials for all three antennae. I'll surely use whatever band I
need to to make a Q with a new one & do want that ability but if the
practical gains of LMR-400 or 500 over 213 are not significant, I'll
save my money. Specially after my just fully loading the K3 with all
the available Elecraft options & with a full filter compliment.

The only time I had a 350' run of coax was with some larger Andrews
Heliax back in Illinois in the 90's & that became long gone when I
left the area. RG-213 isn't the best performance wise for long runs
and I have had zero experience A>B different coax with long runs.

I'm hoping to have a 6M 5/8 wave to mount to the house and for that I
suspect I'll get a length of LMR-600 for that as I have no access to
surplus heliax now that I've relocated back to CT after nearly 30
years of being elsewhere. But that will be a separate line to that
antenna.

Gary
KA1J