Topband: Recycled ferrites for 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Recycled ferrites for 160m
From: "G4GED Dave" <radiodave.g4ged@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:52:59 -0000
Hi Topbanders,

My query revolves around the suitability, for 160m applications, of recycled
ferrite material extracted from redundant CRT TVs and PC Monitors ?

Thanks to the Flat-screen revolution, there's now lots of this recycled
ferrite freely available from CRT - Flat upgrading. There's lots of
satisfaction to had saving all this good stuff from simply ending up wasted
in another land fill project and it costs nothing !

There's the big chunky dougnut/bagel shaped ferrite core from the scanning
coil yoke, two of which, as common mode chokes, have successfully killed my
160m-ADSL RFI stone dead.
I have several doing service as chokes in RX antenna feeders. They seem to
work but how well, I've no means of knowing?

Most PCs and monitor mains power leads incorporate an embedded chunky
tubular ferrite, easily removed with a hot air gun and craft knife.

There's often a variety of other small ferrite rings, tubes and beads etc to
be had from within this redundant equipment.

Does anyone know what ferrite "mixes" all these are likely to be or how they
could be simply  tested at home for suitability as rf xfmrs, baluns, chokes
etc on Topband ?

Thanks
Dave