Topband: 160M once in a lifetime week!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160M once in a lifetime week!
From: Ed Gray W0SD <w0sd@triotel.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:48:30 -0600
Can you believe 68 countries in 30 hours.   It took me years to get 100
countries on 160M which I completed last week and we work 68 in 30
hours!!!  This I am sure is a once in a lifetime set of propagation.  I
have never heard anything like it in over 40 years and truly doubt if I
ever will again.  I can hardly comprehend 68 countries in 30 hours.

I also can not believe 255 EU station and 159 Asia stations. The first
European was at 2212z (4:12pm) local the first day.  Absolutely broad
daylight.  We heard EU before 4 pm which is just astonishing!!!!  2248Z
was the first EU on Saturday.  You just don't hear DX in South Dakota
before sunset.  In fact last year was the first time I ever heard the
sunset opening to EU.  I have heard it on 80M but not 160M.  I know some
of you on the east coast find that hard to believe but that is the way
it is.  I have had excellent antennas and a quiet location for years so
it is just a change in propagation.

13.9% of the Q's were with EU
8.76% of the Q's were with Asia

131 Q the second hour was the best of the contest for rate.

A number of EU and JA stations were over S-9 on the meter.

My friend Karl DL7RD heard us for hours in EU the first night.  He said
we were blessed with a fairly clear frequency in EU where the QRM is
even worse than the East Coast I am told.

Ed W0SD