Re: Topband: CQ 160 CW Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 CW Contest
From: Jeff Wilson <jjw5257@yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 07:35:10 -0800 (PST)
First post to the group.

Had to defend my title as last years winner for W/VE QRP, so I had to miss most
of the DX-fest.  So I
spent 30 hours in the chair and improved my score by 25,000 points
(112,000), but still lost to, at least for now,  two fine OPs with many more
points, who managed to keep a freq. and run. I tried running but spent most of
the
time listening to my CQ macro.  Bummer!  I did mostly S&P, but I guess I should
have tried harder to work
the EU stations on Saturday morning.  Amazing amount of activity and
loud signals.  As a newby to 160 DXing, I didn't realize the "once in a
lifetime" conditions we experienced.

Doing QRP was amazing as condition were
apparently the best in at least 10 years (according to other posts on
3830). There are a lot of OPs with great RX antennas.
My 80m (132ft) ZEPP worked OK and I had no noise floor (actually zero!), so I
could
hear everything, even Japan and Alaska, but they couldn't hear me.
Missed ND, UT, and WY for states and VE1, VO1 and the usual arctic in Canada.
Most of the vertical aspect of my shorted Zepp feedline is on the west side of
the steel workshop, so must block a lot of signal to the east. (see setup on
QRZ.com).  I only use 6  120m radials, but after reading posts here I guess
I'll cut some in half and have more shorter ones than fewer 130 footers.  Still
planning the dedicated 80/160m vertical.

So
I've almost recovered from sleep deprivation, but am looking forward to
next year.  Hopefully I can get a proper vertical and RX antenna up for
next year.  No tower in the plans yet, but with the upper band being
mostly crap, I'm not missing much and really enjoying 160 and 80m.

Best wishes for a healthy and happy new year and good DX!
73,
Jeff, VE3FRX