Topband: Home Depot RG-6 Cable

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Home Depot RG-6 Cable
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:55:55 -0800 (PST)
Stay away from the low priced RG-6. I used to buy 500 foot rolls of RG-6 Quad
from Home Depot to be used to feed my beverages and K9AY loop.

The cable was made in Canada. Its weakness is its PVC jacket which is easily
scored, nicked, or cut. I found several instances in my system where a small
tear occurred and allowed water into the cable. The outside aluminum shield
quickly deteriorates and a powder starts to form.

The best way to go is to use a flooded cable which I will do for all
replacements. Also, once installed, it is a good idea to measure the total
cable resistance of the installed feedline and record it for future reference
and trouble-shooting. I was surprised at the resistance of the combined center
conductor and shield of a 500 foot length of feedline. It runs in the range of
14 to 18 ohms for RG-6.

73, Dennis W0JX/8