Re: Topband: small antennas

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: small antennas
From: wa5pok@peoplepc.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:32:49 -0600
> How many of you operate topband with small antennas?

Hi Dave,

When I first visited the top band to see what it would be like, I built
the "UG" antenna described in the Vertical Antenna Handbook by
Paul Lee, N6PL. With this small antenna, 25' high, I worked most of
NA and a bit of the Caribbean and the northern part of SA with it
with 200 watts output (from Houston). I used four 50' by 4' lengths of
chicken wire under it for a ground system. It hooked me on the band
before moving on to larger antennas and an amp for the band.

I have the pages scanned and can e-mail to anyone to further
scrutinize this thing. I wouldn't mind seeing a model of it. It was easy
to build and tune to get started, seems the bandwith was only about
20kHz.

73, Mike WA5POK