Topband: Beverage termination resistor source

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beverage termination resistor source
From: Michael James <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:39:15 -0800 (PST)
We just received our new Mouser Electronics catalog today, and they have a new
carbon composition resistor available that appears suitable for Beverage
antenna termination resistors.

They are made by Kamaya. Half-watt resistors are only $0.36 each, and one-watt
resistors are $2.21 each. See catalog #637 (Feb.-April 2009), page number 637.
(I'll be paralleling two 1/2 watt units to get the value I need for my second
Beverage).

On page 636 of the same catalog, they have another resistor which may also
work. They are Thick Film Metal Glaze resistors, made by IRC. They feature
"high surge strength" and are advertised as effective replacements for carbon
composition resistors. The catalog does not say whether they are non-inductive.
However, even if they have the spiral groove characteristic of other common
resistors (which would of course make them inductive), it is unlikely that the
inductance would be high enough to affect operation on 160.

If the termination resistor cannot handle a surge, even distant lightning
strikes can cause it to fail. That's why carbon comp resistors are preferred
for this application.

Mouser Electronics is at http://www.mouser.com

73,
Michael J. Waters