Re: Topband: Beverage coax grounding

To: W5UN <w5un@wt.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage coax grounding
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 02:49:30 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Dave,

> Since putting up the full size 160 meter 4-square some years
> ago, I
> have been very disappointed with my three 2-way Beverages. They
> always fall short of what the 4-square can do on receiving.

Are they close to 4 square? It might be that 4Sqr is messing up the pattern.
Ideal situation would be to have Beverages on the front of 4 square. Detune the
vertical elements if not doing so.

> plan to
> convert these Beverages to single wire one-way to see if this
> improves the receiving situation to the east, northeast, and
> northwest.
> My question concerns grounding. Should the incoming 75 ohm coax
> have
> its shield grounded at the 9:1 transformer termination point, or
> should it remain floating at that point? Any experience out
> there
> about this? If so, your comments will be appreciated.
>
> 73, Dave, W5UN
> www.w5un.net

Side of winding that is attached to the Beverage wire should be grounded,
secondary that coax is attached to should not be grounded.

73  Yuri, K3BU