Re: Topband: Fwd: Re: My 160m antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: Re: My 160m antenna
From: "Jim Miller WB5OXQ in Waco" <wb5oxq@grandecom.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 16:28:52 -0600
Thanks for a couple of suggestions so far.  I am getting 20 over reports on
the great lakes area from my QTH in Texas  so my main problem is reception.
I thought more signal capture area could help there.  I believe the tower
and antennas on top are being used as part of the antenna since only the
center of the coax is connected to the sloper legs and the braid is
connected to the tower.
My noise level runs around s9 most of the time on 160 and 80, around s7 on
40 and less as the frequency increases to the point that there is no s meter
reading on 15 or 10 meters for noise.
The distance from my tower to the rear tie off point is 132'.  I always
regard coils as lossy and for that reason I use the Force 12 beam which has
no coils.  I do see that the coil on the AD is getting faded on one side so
I believe the enamel may break down at some point.  I have never
experimented with using a coil to reduce physical length of a antenna
element.
Back on the 60s when I was on CB before getting my ham ticket I always found
that coil shortened antennas did not work as well as a 1/4 wave whip if the
whip could be used.  Therefore I want to make the best possible antenna with
the space I have to work with.
Also I am having problems with my rotator getting rf into it when on 160.
Any suggestions to prevent this would be helpful.
WB5OXQ