Re: Topband: Chemical ground rod treatment to decrease resistance

To: <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chemical ground rod treatment to decrease resistance
From: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:49:40 -0400
From: "Mike Waters W0BTU"

> Over the years, I've seen documentation (ARRL antenna books, US military
publications) that adding chemicals around a ground rod decreases the RF
ground resistance.

> Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) seems to be the preferred choice, with
copper sulfate and sodium chloride (common salt) being the second and third
choice.

Mike,

Use an abundance of legal caution before you do this as the EPA, if they
find out, will make your life miserable with fines, court, and even in some
cases imprisonment...if there is any chance that the area you treat could
somehow be considered a "wetland" or get any such compound into the ground
aquifer that could leach out or connect to a water table anywhere. Even if
you got an "earth change" permit the feds may still prosecute.

It is ironic that in our society it is the government itself, state, local,
and federal that can dump almost anything but they are generally immune from
the regulations they impose on the rest of us.

Take Heed!

Herb, KV4FZ