Topband: thanks for RX antenna advice - and one more question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: thanks for RX antenna advice - and one more question
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 06:54:05 -0500
Thanks to the many topband denizens who responded to my inquiry.

I have one related question.  KD9SV, who knows a lot about receiving
antennas, cautioned "I would just make sure to switch 'both sides of the
coax' so as to not add any ground loops that could possibly add a lot of
noise from the shack to the radio being used...in other words you do not
want two extra coax's hanging off the radio in use."

This is the first I've heard of this.  If the center conductors are
switched, but not the shields, and the coax lines to the two additional
receivers are short, is there likely to be any noticeable noise pickup, on
the low bands?  Obviously, switching the shields as well will make life a
bit more difficult, for instance requiring a plastic enclosure rather than
metal, which I had planned on using.

73, Pete N4ZR
the World Contest Station Database is back, and updated daily
www.conteststations.com