Re: Topband: Deep earth rod vs radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Deep earth rod vs radials
From: <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:44:00 -0400
In 2001 I think it was PY3CEJ drilled 1/4 wave straight down into the ground
and placed the other half of the antenna in it. He put in a concrete pillar and
mounted the 1/4 wave tower to that. The antenna is/was in the middle of a fresh
water lake.

I can't remember now if he also added radials at a later date. His 160 meter
1/4 wave vertical did work pretty good. He sent me a picture of it of which I
still have.

As others have already mentioned the 1/4 wave wire into the ground vertically
is not the way to go. Radials are the way to go. I currently have twenty three
1/8 wave radials stapled on the surface of the ground and of course the 160
meter inverted L antenna works much better with them than without.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
http://www.nz4o.com