Topband: How Close is Too Close?

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: How Close is Too Close?
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:10:44 -0700
 Mike:
    I lived about 1-2 miles away from the same 500kV line that Tree mentioned.
I listened for 3 years on 160 and never heard a single EU station until I
moved away. In the moist air that thing was brutal. I could hear it on my car
radio driving in my own driveway. It masked every small signal. There was
another 100kV line less than 1/2 mile away and it also emitted coronal noise
masking many signals on 160. It was not as bad as the 500kV line. As Tree
said  it was better on 80 meters as I managed over 100 countries but not
without ear pain. Be aware in the wet climate.
     There is a 500kV line coming out of Round Butte dam that is about 5 miles
away from my current location here and I have never heard it except when driving
directly under the line in the city of Metolius.  YMMV
   Lee  K7TJR  OR