Topband: how close is to close

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: how close is to close
From: richard brossard <w2rlb@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:20:21 -0700 (PDT)
I have multiple 375 kv power lines less than 1 mile from my 160 meter antenna
that give a 20 over s9 signal that sounds like high voltage discharge . My flex
sdr 1000 , flex 5000 and orion remove that noise completley and bring me down
to band noise on 160 due to the fact they have true digital noise blankers . I
have worked many dx stations with these transcievers . My ft 1000 d , ft 1000
mp , 756 pro , ts 2000 , ft 847 , ft 920 , ts 570 , plus many other's could
never remove the noise and in fact when using the noise blankers on them just
further degrades the signals that make it over the noise much less you cant
even hear the weak ones . Rich