Re: Topband: 160m Sloper on Crank-up tower

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m Sloper on Crank-up tower
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:46:46 -0500
KQ0B wrote: "I have a L bracket affixed to the top section for the
connection utilizing PL-259."
and:
"Impediance is 60 ohms  but can see 50 ohms at 2.000mhz"
and:
"my prob is not working dx  it is getting a good impediance "

If you have 60 ohms then you have a good impedance, and that's about
what I would expect from your configuration.  I don't know how you did
the wiring to the PL259.  Did you mean an SO239?  Regardless, it sounds
like it may be an insulation problem, getting water or bird poop on the
connections then arcing over.  When that starts the thing will burn up.
The other possibility is a poor solder job on a PL259 or getting water
into the PL259.

I don't think a wire from top of the tower to ground will make any
difference.

Jerry, K4SAV