Topband: Fwd: Re: 1.99 and beacons

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Fwd: Re: 1.99 and beacons
From: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 04:41:16 +0000

>At 13:00 5/6/2009, George W. wrote:
>
>>(On May 5 at 0500 I had a somewhat promising experience
>>listening to the beacons: on 1.9995 it was barely audible.
>>On 1.8005 I could not hear it. This was the case both on
>>my TX vertical and on my EU pennant. I was not listening
>>to both FRQ at the same time, so it could have been
>>QSB...)

This might be a good use for software-defined radios for those who have them.
Unfortunately, the 190kHz bandwidth of the RFSpace SDR-IQ is just too narrow
for this, but one can record simultaneous spectral evidence using the SDR-14.
No Perseus here to try out, but that should be more than capable of
simultaneous recording over this span.

best wishes,

Nick
VE7DXR