Re: Topband: Beverage Feed Line Choke Installation

To: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Feed Line Choke Installation
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 16:17:38 -0700
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:14:53 -0400, Bill Tippett wrote:

> I *believe* the DXE style physically breaks the flow of common
>mode current through the  shield by using isolated transformer
>windings through a 1:1 binocular core transformer.

A real transformer certainly does break that current path. BUT --
any asymmetry between the windings, as well as any stray
capacitive coupling between the windings, provides a path between
windings for common mode current.

The highest quality audio transformers (for example, www.jensen-
transformers.com) are wound with a foil barrier between windings
that functions as a Faraday shield when properly wired to external
circuitry.

>It would be interesting if someone could define "extremely high
>isolation impedance".  :-)

I've done my part by publishing graphs of measured data and
documenting exactly how measurements were made. :)

BTW -- I object to use of the word "balun" to describe what is
really a two-winding transformer (for example, in Carlos's
otherwise excellent description of his RX antenna). Likewise, I
object to use of the word "balun" to describe what is really a
common mode choke. Using the wrong word leads to confusion and
muddy thinking.

73,

Jim K9YC