Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Twin Lead Marconi Antenna]]

To: 'TopBand List' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Twin Lead Marconi Antenna]]
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:40:00 -0400
Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> Herb wrote:
>

>> But as far as increase radiation efficiency it appears to have
>> been a self sustaining urban legend which Tom, W8JI and Joe,
>> W4TV have recognized some time ago.
>>

> All of the credit for debunking the myth goes to Tom, W8JI.  I
> have only referred people to Tom's work.
>
> On the other hand, since the folded monopole does provide an easier
> way of feeding and matching a short grounded tower in addition to
> increased bandwidth it is worthy of consideration in many cases.
> The idea that the folded monopole (or any other "multiple downlead"
> antenna where the downleads are closely spaced) provides reduced
> ground losses is not supported by Physics.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

As a long-time user of the "folded umbrella" on 160, I am very grateful
to the late John Haerle, WB5IIR, who brought the antenna to my attention
in his article in Ham Radio Magazine and in his little book called "The
Easy Way."  The thing works and is relatively easy to put up and get
working.  Haerle's erroneous claim regarding decreased ground losses has
resulted in most of the attention given to the antenna to be of a
critical nature.  That's too bad, because if you have a 50-75 ft tower
and want to get on 160 with a low angle radiator, this antenna would get
you there with modest effort and very low cost!

73,

Ken - K4XL

--
Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr