Re: Topband: Two element phased array

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Two element phased array
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:20:05 -0800
Yo Tree

Never used a gamma matched tower so I'm just an observer here.

We did have this discussion on the reflector, maybe before the
archive started but some were convincing that you can't do it
and Earl, K6SE said you could.

My feeling is anything is possible with the right test equipment and
you can phase any loads using a hybrid but series fed monopoles
are easy and trivial while gamma matched towers will have the
"third" knob problem.

When I built this 1/4 wave vertical I did the model as it went up
and the results was always about ten feet ahead of the real antenna
resonance point using a radio at the base of the tower and 100
watts. Local BC made the MFJ useless. BC can disturb your test
equipment and until you get a good handle on your soil conductivity
any software model might be of little value. Plus stack antennas all
moving around on the towers, in line or not??(does this matter), etc.

I have been following your experiments over the years and hope
you give this a shot. We all might learn something for topband
station building.

73 Rich KL7RA
p.s.  I am not moving to 1.996 MHz even if it is better, sorry.