Topband: W1BB-Style Extended Inverted "L"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: W1BB-Style Extended Inverted "L"
From: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:50:39 -0400
Has anyone ever validated, via computer modelling, Stew Perry's claim that 165'
- to 175' was the "optimal" length for a series-tuned (variable capacitor)
extended inverted "L"...?

I like the convenience of being able to resonate my "L's" by way of
base-mounted air variable capacitors, and am curious if I could still take
advantage of this feature, were I to reduce the present overall lengths of 170'
per "L", to something like 140', or so, which is still longer than the
prescribed 130' for a "normal" 1/4-wave on 1.800-MHz...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ