Re: Topband: "T"-Top Vertical Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: "T"-Top Vertical Antennas
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 11:54:30 -0400
> "Paul, There's still some discrepancy here.  I have the Radio Club of
America commemorative publication on the 1921 tests.  In it
Amy and Burghard describe the station antenna:..."

Going back that far, there's bound to be some discrepancies about the 1BCG
feed detail, but several references point to a "T" feed.  In fact, the same
Radio Club of America website describes: "the antenna system consisted of a
"T type cage with a 100 foot flat top 70 feet high."  Reference to the "T"
would imply a center feed and not an end feed as implied by Amy and
Burghard.

I've seen several photos of the ground detail, and just one of the antenna.
Try as I could, I cannot locate where it is to take a better look at it.
I'll keep searching my materials to see if there's a better photo of the top
portion.

Incidentally, beginning on p. 52, Edmund Laport discusses early use of
elevated radial counterpoise systems in "Radio Antenna Engineering."
LULU.com offers a free download of the book, supposedly now out of
copyright:

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/radio-antenna-engineering/159004

Paul, W9AC