Topband: W1BB antenna issue

To: "160m DX Operators" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: W1BB antenna issue
From: <mac@py2cw.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 23:43:12 -0300
Reading about my Dear Friend, OM, Stew brings me beautiful memories. Stew, as a
Mechanical Engineer was also a very intuitive and pratical Electronics and
Eletricity Technician. Based on somel technical discussions i had the
opportunity to share with him, as a young and highly motivated Electronics
Engr. my feeling on the subject is: He suggested the setup with the variable
condenser for some reasons. One factor, i guess, because is easier and better
"to trim" the antenna QRG (Electrical Lenght) with a variable capacitor (a
common RX ganged one) than with a variable coil. Radiating ("Hot Shack") and
frequently presenting bad contacts (Roller Coil). This one not easily
available, requiring silver plated wire and silver contacts and not as simple
as the Capacitor. Concerning radiation resistance i don´t think he was looking
it as a primary concern, for some reasons. in my oppinion, he did known, for
sure, this factor was not the key at his antenna lenght suggestion. He was much
more focused on results (efficiency, easy of assy, etc) than in "lab
measurements". Small differences he didn´t paid attention. He was much more
interested in Top Band promotion (More friends at 160m) using simple and
efficient (easy to build) rigs. This is my feeling. PS By the way, i delayed
the start of the propagation tests til Oct/Nov due Biz trips.Will inform.